Friday, March 6, 2015

What's my style?

I just wrote a review for a new jacket I bought from Ann Taylor (I'll probably wear it next week and share pics then).  Ann Taylor asked me what my style was:

Classic: timeless & tailored
Modern: clean & streamlined
Fashion-forward: trendy & cutting-edge
Buttoned-up: structured & neat
Feminine: romantic & soft






I know I'm not "Feminine: romantic & soft" even though I have the occasional feminine dress.  But other than that...  classic? modern? fashion-forward? buttoned-up?

I like structured and neat clothing, find tailoring to be very important, like clean and streamlined looks, but also want to make sure that my look still seems on-trend, or at least not dated. ... 

Anyway, I've read from various Yahoo! headline articles and fashion blogs, and I think my friend N-- who read a book on it, that it can be very helpful to know your own style.  It can make shopping and dressing a lot easier.  So I thought I'd force us all to do a little exercise to characterize our own (target/ideal) styles.  Don't limit yourself to the Ann Taylor categories, but think of a few words that describe the looks you like best for yourself.

I think mine is:
Tailored, clean, but bold, and a little bit sexy. 
I like solid colors, color-block, and the occasional geometric print.  I like bright colors, black, and white.
I like items that are either very slim and fitted or that are explicitly flowy or wide - nothing in-between.

What's yours?  And does my description of my style seem right to you?  (It's always interesting to compare our own images of ourselves with how others' see us.)

2 comments:

  1. my style is jeans and t shirt? LOL

    got the automated email!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incomplete answer! What look are you going for with your jeans and t-shirt? Boho jeans and t-shirt? Sexy jeans and t-shirt? Classic tailored jeans and t-shirt (well, then maybe you'd do button-down or polo, but still...)? Fashion-forward/trendy jeans and t-shirt (e.g. colored jeans when those were in, printed jeans, ...)? I'm not letting you off easy. :)

      Delete