Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Midi Skirt Week! day 3, a casual midi-skirt outfit

Today is a "work from home" day - I really only go out to drop the kids off at daycare and run a few errands.  So I am going to try some more casual midi-skirt options.



Chunky-heeled or wedge sandals are great for more casual midi-skirt-wearing, in my opinion.  The block heel or wedge is more casual, but you still get the leg-lengthening effects of a heel.  I also prefer fuller skirts for casual wear.  Some ladies look fabulous in a below-calf tube midi with a casual white t tucked in, but you have to have a really amazing figure to pull that off, and I don't have it - I searched a little, and I think there was pretty much only one lady on the entire Internet who pulled it off really well.  ;) 

With this outfit, I am sort-of pretending that my hips are my waist.  This outfit would work better with a skirt that fit my waist nicely.  But this skirt is a couple sizes too big (it was a gift).  I decided to go with it anyway, and I think it worked.  I felt casual and comfortable, breezy.  I loved how the skirt swayed around my legs as I walked (in and out of Walmart), and I had no worries about my skirt flying up to reveal my underwear when the ocean breeze blew.  To me, this has a similar functionality and casual ease as a maxi dress.

Do you have any other ideas for how to wear this skirt?  It is such a pretty skirt, but the fact that it sits at my hips is making it tricky to style... 

(T-shirt: Old Navy banded-bottom t worn tucked in (also fabulous for nursing given the elastic neckline), Skirt: Esprit, gift, Shoes: Payless shoe source!  I was desperate for a block-heel sandal a couple years ago when they were *just* starting to be popular again, but they were super hard to find in stores, so I got this pair.  They are cheap, so I'm on a hunt for a better pair of block-heel sandals this year.)

7 comments:

  1. These posts are convincing me I could never wear a midi skirt ever. They are perfect for you though! I can't add this level of complication to my wardrobe right now. Also I hate showing my calves.

    Also I am having a fashion crisis. I'm hoping to find time to text/email you about it soon so I can go shopping sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the below-calf midis would be a good option for you? But yes, maxi dresses seem more you for casual wear. I think midi skirts/dresses will look good on you for work. (I think that new dress you got is just-below-knee, right?)

      Delete
  2. I do like this look for you. I'm not used to seeing you in sort of "middle" clothes - not work clothes, not yoga clothes. You look great and nice and casual but put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I might try "middle" a little more often. I hope I don't go out in yoga clothes too often, but I know what you mean - outside of work I usually do beach-town casual, which is a particularly casual form of casual. :)

      Delete
  3. This would look better with a fitted tank top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried that would look too late-90s/early-00's. I'll give it a try and post some pics - I definitely have to find other ways to wear the skirt! (I must have a fitted tank somewhere...)

      Delete