Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Summer conference day 1.5: post red-eye

After the red eye I just wanted something easy to change into. But I also wanted to make sure that I would stand out, in a good way. I'm not good at spotting people at a conference and recognizing them and going to say hi. If people spot me, that improves my networking immensely. So I make it easy for people to spot me. Hence: easy and not much thought required dress and blazer, but in eye-catching white and black. I also wear my name tag high so it is close to my face. People are often unsure about names and it can make them hesitate to talk to someone. If I make it easy for them, they're more likely to talk to me, and more likely to remember my name-face combo. (And let's face it, it's awkward looking at anyone's chest or lower to see their name, but it's especially awkward looking at a youngish woman's chest.)
By the way, I was overdue for a new work bag.  After months of searching, including slightly higher-end lines like Tory Burch, Coach, Rebecca Minkoff, Michael Kors, Kate Spade, and Brahmin, I ended up buying a new one of the exact bag I had before, but this time in black.  I'm super picky about functionality - the bag has to fit my laptop, zip closed at the top, have two main compartments so notepads and laptop can be on one side and little things on the other side, loops to hold pens, a slot for my phone, another slot for cards or small items.  That's the minimum.  Most of those lines I listed above had bags that were open at the top!  The chances of everything spilling out of my bag at inopportune times was just way too high.  And the few that did zip on top were just one big space inside, which wouldn't work for me - everything would get lost in there.  

The bag I got is Giani Bernini, sold at Macy's, and is 100% leather.  I like this line - it's all leather, decent quality, and just so well thought out for functionality.  The quality is definitely lower than Tory Burch, or other lines in that range, but since it's so inexpensive I can buy a new one every year or two, and always have a bag that looks fresh and new (and as my style evolves, I can change bags without feeling guilty, which is nice for me).  I couldn't find the exact bag that I'm carrying on the Macy's website, but I think they often restock it in the fall - it's more of a fall/winter item (though I of course carry it year round for work). 

(Dress and blazer: White house black market; Shoes and bag: Macy's)

No comments:

Post a Comment